Monday, September 17, 2007

The Provo Half Marathon....My first 13.1....

Now that time has passed since my first half-marathon.....if you asked me what my favorite distance is, I would definitely say 13.1. It is a long enough distance that you are forced to train for it, but short enough to where you are not groaning and aching for 3 days straight and looking at a flight of stairs as though it is wired with tiny electrical live wires that send sharp pains up your entire leg upon impact! There is nothing like remembering--with EVERY painful step--what you accomplished running a marathon. But there is also something to say about being able to go run, and then come home and mow the lawn, play with the kids, and kick it with your wife on the couch watching a movie. So all in all, I would highly suggest the half-marathon to anybody who wants to push the limit, but wants to ease into it before doing the full blown thing. A good one to start with is the Provo Half Marathon. This is the second race I did and I loved it. I finished the race in 1:56:20...not too much below my marathon pace. Races can't always be about how fast you go or whether you make a goal and achieve it....sometimes it is just fun to go out and enjoy the race, the atmosphere, the people and the thrill of racing (Even though I believe all that, I can't seem to live without setting a goal or getting that "PR" at every race!). This is a tradition race that Chelle and I started doing. It is scenic, there is cool weather, and it is on a trail, so you don't have any distractions.


Don't worry, only a few more race re-caps to go after this one...I am a slacker and have to get it all out!!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Hooray for the race recaps! I'm living each of these moments over again..... happily. You are a freakin' animal.

Love you, Colt... love all the miles we've logged together. Priceless memories.

p.s. Will you let me preview what race pictures you post of us after a race? They can be a little scary. Sweaty, straggily running machines. This one is fine (my chest looks much bigger than it really is in this shot. Thanks for that little boost today...or should I thank my sports bra?). funny, funny me.

WIKKY said...

I am glad that we can read about your thoughts on the crazy decision to be in so many marathons, half marathons and triatholons. You are inspiring. Keep it up!!!

Abi said...

You are doing a great recap. I LOVE the re-caps. You two are cute in your twiner shirts!